Profile image for NottmCrew

PRESSAC? I was just thinking when we were kids, my mum had these funny blocks delivered and did some home working. I can't remember what she had to do with them, but I do remember they were called PRESSAC. Does anyone else remember them?

By NottmCrew at 12:06 on 07/06/12

Re-post           

• Profile image for LEClare

Yes I think Pressac was the company. My cousin had bits and bobs that needed fitting together and sometimes I used to do them while we watched TV, that was Pressac too! I googled it and looks like they still exist... http://tinyurl.com/7ql66pj

By LEClare at 14:02 on 07/06/12

• Profile image for NottmCrew

wow its amazing that there still around. I remember them being funny little blocks, but we used to love it when my mum had them delivered, although I think we were more of an hindrance than a help to her! LOL

By NottmCrew at 16:26 on 07/06/12

• Profile image for simonjames65

I used to work for Pressac, they had facilites on Acton Road (now flats), Acton Grove (which previously was a pencil factory), New Tythe Street, Leopold Street in the old mill, a subsidary on Oakland Avenue (now flats) and another one in Sandiacre/Stapleford so were quite big employers in the town but over the years contraction and consolidation has resulted in the current facility at Glaisdale Drive in Nottingham.

By simonjames65 at 18:34 on 07/06/12

I see Simon, you might be able to shed some light on what those little plastic things were, and what the out workers had to do. I think I've seen the factory on Acton Road now you come to mention it. Thanks for the info.

By NottmCrew at 19:45 on 07/06/12

• Profile image for simonjames65

I think they must have been plastic tv/telecom mouldings to have contacts inserted into them, though it was a long time ago.

By simonjames65 at 20:16 on 07/06/12

i will have to ask my mum she if she remembers

By NottmCrew at 21:07 on 07/06/12

• Profile image for Pet Bereavement Counselling

I too used to work from home for Pressac. I had a little hand held machine that pressed pins into plastic plugs, these were from the Leopold Street factory. Later I had dozens of coloured cables that had to have their ends put into plastic plugs at each end. They took forever to do and I had stuff all over the house. The pay was rubbish and you had to do loads to get anything decent. Eventually I went to work at the Leopold Street factory where I worked a twilight shift. You could go there at any time and get a job on almost any shift.

A similar company was called Tudor Components and they were based at Attenborough. They did very similar work, also rubbish pay. I worked for them too.

By Pet Bereavement Counselling at 09:50 on 04/12/12

• Profile image for stevealbon

I worked for Pressac from leaving school in 1984, to redundancy in early 1990.
    I worked in the mould shop, then for the last few months of employment i used to set the presses in peoples homes, deliver/pick up the items, and repair the presses.

The items home workers used to make were things like fuse boxes for ford cars, BT phone equipment, and various other electrical components.

Quite a few of them put the brass screw inserts into BT phone sockets, and electrical connectors into connector blocks etc, from what i remember, it was very labour intensive, for little money, I used to visit one couple, where the husband operated the press all night, and the wife all day.

Good old days!!

By stevealbon at 00:22 on 30/12/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent